Hong Kong’s skyline: Cable ride to Ngong Ping Village

Between the 1pm check out generously extended by Panda Hotel and our 7pm pick up for the airport, we had plenty of time to explore Hong Kong if we had an efficient plan and both feeling fantastic. But it was the second day of my throat infection. I am drained of energy from fever and coughing all night. We’ve already missed going to the Victoria Peak the night before because I couldn’t manage to wait in line for hours and we don’t want to spend another afternoon nursing my misfortune.

We decided to go to Ngong Ping Village in Lantau Island. It was the prospect of a 25-minute cable ride that really convinced us to pay €55 ticket (for two persons) on a glass-bottom cable car. Robin wanted to see the Tian Tian Bronze Buddah, the biggest buddah I’ve seen so far. I just wanted a glimpse of Hong Kong’s famous skyline while sitting relaxingly. Walking exhausted me so that was not an option.

It was foolish to visit tourists attractions on a New Year’s weekend without an online ticket. The lines are inescapable. We had to wait in line for at least an hour to get a ticket and 15 more minutes at the terminal. By the time we got on the cable car, it was already 3:30pm.

It was a foggy day but the afternoon light was beautiful. On the way to the Ngong Ping Village, I snapped these shots of the skyline that I so wanted to see.

From the cable car, you could see Hong Kong International Airport.

I am usually uncomfortable in cable cars but it’s impossible to be afraid when the view under your feet is this beautiful. We spotted some hikers going up the trail. If I had been fit and we had more time, I would have been one of them.

glass bottom

The contrast in Hong Kong is amazing. From one side a very industrialized island, a concrete jungle with dizzying skyscrapers and on another, a lush forest seemingly untouched by the modern world.


cable cars

Mountain Ridges

Mountain ridges on the horizon. You can already see the Tian Tian Buddah from here, rising mightily on the highest peak.

It was a short ride but it felt like an hour’s trip for me. The changing landscapes from the terminal to the village, the chilly, smog-filled breeze and the gently movement of the cable car somehow made me feel a little better. That’s me looking every bit a sick puppy but I could finally manage a smile.


Next post – what we actually did in two hours in Ngong Ping Village and how we almost missed our pick up due to the long line back to the terminal.