Recipe: Horse meat in coconut milk
So I am blogging about this dish for the next Marinduquena who is longing for the taste of home. I actually should have written this blog during the horse meat scandal two years ago.
This dish is very easy to prepare. And in the Netherlands where horse meat is very tender and cheaper than beef, this is something you can alternate for a more affordable dinner.
300 gr horse meat, cubed
a thumb of ginger, julienne
300ml coconut milk
3 cloves of garlic, julienne
3 tsp kurkuma (turmeric powder)
or one thumb fresh turmeric
1/4 cup vinegar
3- 5 pcs red chillis (more if you want it spicier)
4 tbs frying oil
1. Sweat the onions. Add garlic, chillis and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
2. Add the horse meat. Sauté to golden brown.
3. Pour in the coconut milk. Add the turmeric powder and vinegar. This dish should only have a hint of sourness. The vinegar should not overpower the taste.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Adjust flavor as desired.
5. Simmer for 10-20 minutes or until the coconut milk has almost dried out.
6. Serve with steaming, white rice.
I would recommend a glass of Pinot Noir, Côtes du Rhône (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvèdre) or Primitivo to go with this dish.